Whey protein is the go-to protein supplement source for body-builders and fitness enthusiasts alike. Its benefits are numerous, its abundance reliable, and the results it helps to produce are clear and significant. Whey protein is also naturally produced as it is a by-product of the cheese-making process. It is no wonder that, with all these advantages, it is such a popular product that people cannot seem to get enough.
One of the most overlooked properties of whey protein is its versatility. Many are used to simply purchasing a tub of protein powder, then scooping and mixing it into a pre or post-workout shake. The more adventurous product users have found that they can use it in much more than shakes. You can also use whey protein in food to create delicious dishes packed with protein to enhance or supplement what you would get from meat, fruits, and vegetables.
Here are a few recipes to help you expand on the possibilities of what you can do with whey protein powder:
Banana Protein Pancakes
Pancakes are the kings of breakfast treats. Adding protein powder to the batter just makes them better by enhancing the nutritional advantages.
Ingredients you will need are:
- 2 large eggs.
- 1 ripe banana, large.
- 1 level scoop of rolled oats.
- 1 level scoop of vanilla or banana flavoured whey protein.
This recipe makes four pancakes.
- Heat a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat. Do not make the temperature too high as the pancakes will burn on the outside while remaining raw inside.
- Place the bananas and the eggs in a blender or a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Add the rolled oats and the protein powder to the banana and egg mixture and blend again until the mixture is smooth once more. Adding the powder last ensures that clumps do not form.
- Certify that your skillet is adequately heated, then pour some batter into it. It should form a well-sized pancake that measures about 5 inches across.
- Wait until the batter is dry at the top or is golden brown at the bottom before you flip it to the other side and cook it for another 20 seconds or so.
- Once done, remove the pancake from the pan and repeat with the remaining batter until it is all cooked.
- Serve with your favourite toppings and enjoy.
You may view the recipe here.
Protein Pizza Crust
Who said pizza could only be a cheat meal? With this pizza crust recipe, we make the best of the good ingredients, the stars of the crust, so that you can still enjoy a pizza with no added guilt!
Ingredients (Serves 6 people)
- 1¼ cup of blanched almond flour. (alternatively, you may use ½ cup coconut flour)
- ¼ cup unflavoured protein powder.
- 2 eggs. (use 4 eggs if you opt for coconut flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder.
- 1 tbsp Italian Spices.
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese.
- 4 tbsp psyllium husk powder.
- ½ tsp salt.
- 1 cup boiling water.
- Coconut oil or butter
- Assorted toppings of your choosing.
- Preheat your oven to 3750 F or about 1900C.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Add the boiling water and mix until the dough starts sticking to your mixer’s beaters.
- Form a ball with the dough, then place it on a greased baking sheet.
- Spray some parchment with oil, then place it on top of the ball. The oiled parchment allows the dough to spread without sticking.
- Take a rolling pin and spread the dough into a 16 inch round. You may also use your hands.
- Note that the dough will rise, so you must roll it out thinner than you intend it to be to avoid an overly thick crust once cooking is complete.
- Bake the crust for about 25 minutes before removing it from the oven and brushing with oil. Return to the oven, then broil it for another 3 to 5 minutes until it is crispy. Be careful not to burn it. Add your toppings, broil again, then serve.
Mint Chocolate Chip Protein Brownie Bars
Delightful desserts can come with extra helpings of helpful nutrition. Making these chocolate bars can be a personal demonstration of having your cake or brownie and eating it too! They combine the classic brownie with an equally timeless mint chocolate chip topping to give you a dessert treat that will delight the senses as much as it nourishes the body.
These bars are made with healthy ingredients so that you do not have to sacrifice health for enjoyment. They make use of a tried and true protein brownie recipe and combine it with a frosting that packs a lot of flavours to create an irresistible product that will test your will power to the max. As the proverbial cherry on top, the colours are visually stunning, so your eyes will be just as delighted as your mouth and your body.
Look up more recipes to help you get more ideas on how you can use whey protein to make culinary masterpieces.