Running a successful freight business means having the right people on your team. This includes using a reliable transport and logistics company to handle all your transportation needs. When hiring a company to handle the logistics of your freight movement, you need to ensure they’re equipped to manage all aspects that go with handling and transporting cargo.
Expert transport and logistic companies need to be fully equipped with their own fleet of trucks. But, they should also be able to offer side loader transport facilities as well as other essential services to be your all-in-one service provider.
Asking the right questions before hiring a transport and logistics company to handle your freighting needs gives you peace of mind you’ve taken on the best team for the job!
4 Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Transport and Logistics Company
1. Can They Support a Wide Variety of Freight Types?
If you’re importing or exporting a wide variety of freight types, you want to deal with a company that can handle anything you give them to do. They must offer the solution, not become the problem! A versatile transport and logistics company will have a large fleet of trucks to handle any type of cargo.
Using an all-in-one transport and logistics company that can handle shipping container transport, as well as other types of cargo, saves you the hassle of using separate companies. Make sure the company can handle all freight types so you’re not landed with logistics you’re not personally equipped to deal with.
2. What Kind of Transport Fleet Can They Offer?
Knowing what kind of transport fleet the company has to offer gives you a clearer indication of what they can handle. A well-equipped transport fleet should consist of the following:
- Prime movers: Used for hauling heavy loads, prime movers should also be operated by experienced drivers.
- Side loaders: Used to safely upload and unload shipping containers.
- Flat tops: Used for a wide variety of general freight types.
- Tautliners: For moving goods needing side protection during transportation.
- Trailers: These should include oversize and skeletal trailers for transporting all freight types.
- Forklifts: The fleet should include a range of forklifts to perform different jobs such as loading and unloading containers onto trucks and moving goods in a warehouse.
3. Do They Offer Storage and Warehousing Facilities?
Asking the transport and logistics company if they can store your goods if they’re not ready to be transported to their final destination is important. If the release of your goods is delayed, you need the cargo to be kept in a secure location until all documentation has been finalized. You also need to ask if their storage facilities are big enough to handle considerable cargo.
Find out if the storage and warehousing facilities include the following:
- Security guards on duty 24/7.
- Fully-functioning CCTV security cameras.
- Top-quality internal and external security systems.
- State-of-the-art storage technology systems.
Knowing that your hire company has efficient storage and warehousing facilities available makes your job as a freight forwarder that much simpler!
4. Do They Offer Additional Services?
Find out if they have additional services to offer beyond storing and transporting your freight. Some companies are able to offer the following services:
- Fumigation: Strict fumigation requirements in countries such as Australia stipulate that all cargo must be treated before leaving any port if the goods have come in from target risk areas.
- 24/7 availability: Freight forwarding happens at any time of the day and night, seven days a week. A professional transport and logistics company understands this and is available 24/7, all year around.
- Mass management: The company is able to handle all aspects of heavy load management including safe transportation while complying with local state regulations.
- Packing and unpacking: Safe handling of your freight includes using the right equipment for packing and unpacking freight during storage or for safe transportation.
Knowing all your freight requirements can be handled in one place when hiring an all-in-one service provider offering you additional services, simplifies your job. You also don’t need 3rd parties that will lead to higher expenses.
While you can use separate companies to handle the transport and logistics of getting your freight from A to B, it makes sense to hire a service provider who can handle everything. It saves you time and money. And, you can sleep better at night knowing your goods are in safe and professional hands, 24/7 all year round!
Dealing with one transport and logistics company equipped to handle every aspect of your freight forwarding business means you can offer your clients top-notch service. So, ask the right questions before hiring the best service provider for all your freight forwarding needs. You’ll be glad you did when your clients are happy with your service!