Losing a key or seeing it break off in a lock can be exceedingly stressful. It’s natural to frequently google ‘locksmith near me’ instantly in these situations. However, there will be times when you cannot reach a professional and by yourself to deal with it.
In such helpless times, wouldn’t it be handy to know a few key extraction techniques? Make it happen, and you don’t have to depend completely on someone.
The below 7 techniques are worth learning, and most of them are very beginner-friendly. So, let’s get to it.
The first and easiest key extraction technique involves using needle nose pliers. They are a commonly available tool in every hardware store, which a beginner can use without breaking a sweat.
Here’s the procedure:
- Insert the needle nose pliers into the lock alongside the key fragment.
- Gently grip the key fragment with the pliers.
- Slowly and steadily, pull the key fragment out of the lock.
- Be cautious not to exert excessive force, as it may break the key further or damage the lock.
Tweezers, especially those with fine tips, can be useful for extracting a broken key from a lock. If you don’t have them, you can get them from any general store or supermarket nearby.
Here’s how you use tweezers for key extraction:
- Insert the tweezers into the lock alongside the key fragment.
- Carefully grip the key fragment with the tweezers.
- Gradually pull the key fragment out of the lock.
- As with pliers, avoid using excessive force to prevent further damage.
3. Jigsaw Blade or Hacksaw Blade
A jigsaw blade can also be employed for extracting a key from the lock. But it can only help if part of the key is sticking out of the lock. If yes, you’re gonna need two things: A jigsaw blade and Needle nose pliers (optional).
Here’s how you extract a key with Jigsaw blade:
- Slide the blade alongside the key fragment until it’s behind the broken key.
- Carefully hook the blade onto the key fragment.
- Slowly pull the key fragment out of the lock.
- If needed, use needle nose pliers to grip and extract the key fragment further.
If you don’t have a jigsaw blade, you can also use a hacksaw blade in the same way. But be careful while using either of these tools.
It may sound impossible, but super glue can also help you extract the broken key from a lock. The technique is remarkably simple. Simply use the super glue to bond the broken key fragment to a small, thin item. Then, use it to pull the key fragment out of the lock.
To elaborate the procedure:
- Apply a small amount of super glue to a thin item, such as a bobby pin or a paper clip.
- Contact the item on the key fragment carefully.
- Allow the glue to set and bond the key fragment to the item securely.
- Now, gently pull the key fragment out of the lock using the bonded item.
- Be careful not to pull too hard, as it may cause the bond to break.
Some people maintain lock lubricants in their automotive toolkits. If you don’t do that, consider the idea, as it can be handy at times like these. It can help in extracting a key fragment by reducing friction.
You can use either a graphite lock lubricant or a silicone-based one. The key extraction procedure is as follows:
- Apply or spray a small amount of lock lubricant into the lock.
- Insert a key or a thin piece of metal alongside the broken key fragment.
- Gently jiggle the key or metal piece while turning it.
- With luck, the key fragment will start to move, giving you a chance to pull it out.
It may take a while to understand the right trick in this technique, but it is surely worth trying rather than waiting idly,
The next key extraction technique involves using magnets. If the key fragment is magnetic, you can use a magnet to extract it from the lock. This works well if you ensure that you use a strong magnet.
Here’s how the magnet technique works:
- Place the magnet near the key fragment in the lock.
- Gradually move the magnet to attract and lift the key fragment out of the lock.
- Be patient and avoid using excessive force.
This technique needs a lot of patience. But you can give it a try until your automotive locksmith arrives.
Lastly, if you have a basic understanding of lock picking, you can use a lock pick set to extract the key fragment.
Here’s how to pick the lock:
- Insert the appropriate lock pick tool alongside the key fragment.
- Use the tools to carefully manipulate and extract the key fragment from the lock.
- Lock picking requires skill and practice, so if you’re not experienced, it’s best to seek professional help.
The above 7 key extraction techniques can greatly help when you are locked out. Most of these can be used by absolute beginners with no experience. However, prefer professional help when possible, as it can prevent accidental damage.
Open Locksmiths is an excellent service provider in South Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne. They provide 24/7 emergency locksmith services, so you will not feel helpless anytime, day or night. So, feel free to bookmark their page or save their contact for future reference.