Leather jackets have many undeniable advantages: excellent appearance, protection from cold and wind, durability and practicality. Such products can be combined with almost any clothing and can serve for several years. However, they also require special care, which makes life somewhat difficult for their owners. Let’s find out how to clean a leather jacket from dirt and what is the regular maintenance of the thing.
Before proceeding with the actual cleaning of your leather jacket, it is recommended to assess the extent of the contamination. Here are some versatile solutions to help you clean your product:
- Dust, liquid stains, streaks and other minor contaminants can be removed with water, soap, and ammonia.
- Felt-tip and ink stains, as well as grease on the jacket are cleaned with alcohol.
- If you need to remove a greasy stain from tight skin, use gasoline.
- Oily stains from thin skin are removed with chalk, starch and talcum powder.
- Water and salt stains are removed with vinegar.
- from you can make the jacket softer with castor oil.
- If you want to bring things back to their natural shine and get rid of unpleasant odors, lemon juice and orange peel will come to the rescue.
How to care for a leather jacket
- Any jacket made of genuine leather or leatherette needs regular care, even if there is no visible dirt on the product. Such measures will allow you to maintain the original color and pleasant appearance of the thing for a long time. For preventive purposes, a solution of soapy water, as well as ammonia (10 drops per glass of water), is excellent.
- To wash a leather jacket, soak a sponge in soapy water and walk over the garment. After that, rinse the solution with a sponge soaked in clean water, and then wipe the thing dry. Next, the jacket must be lubricated with a special cream, or glycerin or castor oil. This will make the material softer.
How to clean white leather jackets
- Use milk to remove dirt from white jackets. Its advantage is that it will not leave streaks and greasy marks on things, and is also able to soften the material. Alternatively, you can use lemon juice, which has similar benefits to milk.
How to remove grease from your jacket?
- Grease is especially characteristic of the jacket collar, where it often comes into contact with the neck. If you want to avoid contamination of this area, it is recommended that you wear a scarf and wipe it down regularly with ammonia. Also, if the collar is slightly dirty, you can moisten a cotton pad with makeup remover milk.
- If the pollution is strong, rubbing alcohol will help out: soak a cotton pad in it and walk over the collar, sleeves and other greasy places. Rub lemon juice and glycerin to soften the skin.
How to fix tough stains
To cope with greasy, ink and other complex stains with soapy water will not work. But depending on the type of pollution, you can use the following methods to eliminate them:
- Greasy stains from tight skin can be removed with gasoline or turpentine available from hardware stores. Dip a sponge or soft cloth in gasoline and wipe the stained area. To get rid of the unpleasant odor, leave the garment in the air for a few minutes, then wipe it with lemon juice.
- You can also remove mold and paint stains with gasoline or turpentine. But use this method very carefully and test the product on an inconspicuous area of skin before applying so as not to damage the jacket.
- Oily stains from thin skin are removed with chalk, starch or talcum powder. Dissolve any of these products in water to make a white gruel, then apply the mixture to the problem area. Leave the trigger in this position overnight, and in the morning, wipe off the gruel with a sponge or sponge, wipe with soapy water, apply glycerin.
- The ink from the ballpoint pen and felt-tip pen is removed with a cotton pad soaked in medical alcohol.
Can a leather jacket be washed and ironed?
A leather jacket cannot be washed in a washing machine in automatic mode, because it will discolor and lose its original appearance, which will be impossible to restore. Leatherette jackets can be machine washed if the manufacturer has indicated this on the product label.
But the inner lining of the thing needs to be washed from time to time. To do this, turn the jacket inside out, lifting the lining, walk with a sponge well moistened with water, and then with a solution of washing powder or soapy water. Do not spill liquid on the outside of the jacket. Then rinse the lining by using a cloth soaked in water. In the same turned out form, you need to dry the product at room temperature by hanging it on a hanger.
If you want to iron a genuine leather jacket, you can do this only from the wrong side, placing a cloth and pressing it with an iron very gently.
A Few Helpful Care Tips
To extend the life of your leather jacket, here are some universal tips for all occasions:
- Never dry a product made of natural or artificial leather near heating appliances and in the sun, as this can lead to the fact that the material is cracked. Drying of such items should be carried out at room temperature. You just need to hang the jacket on a hanger and wait for it to dry.
- Only put on the item after it is completely dry. If you wear a damp jacket, it can stretch.
- Remove contamination as soon as possible. Fresh stains are removed much more easily than those that are already firmly absorbed into the skin.
- Do not rub the product too hard when cleaning. This can lead to deformation of the material.
- In order for jackets made of genuine leather and leatherette to retain their original attractive appearance and color longer, do not fade in the sun, do not deteriorate during rainy and snowy weather, it is recommended to use special impregnations. Also, such measures will allow you to less often resort to cleaning leather products.
- Do not scrub white leather jackets with orange peel. Otherwise, red spots may appear on the product.