What Is The Essential keyboard shortcuts for Mac And Windows?
To be able to work on a computer, it is necessary to install an operating system. The operating system is a set of programs that drives the use of a computer’s resources through application software. Keyboard shortcuts let you quickly perform actions on your computer, Mac, or Windows, without having to use a mouse or trackpad. Their use is intended to make it easier for you to use the operating system on a daily basis. Find out which shortcuts([pii_email_aef67573025b785e8ee2]) you must-have for Mac and Windows computers.
What is a keyboard shortcut?
A keyboard shortcut is a combination of keys that must be pressed simultaneously on the computer keyboard. Their goal is to perform a precise action already predefined by the operating system (Mac, Windows, Linux) or by application software (Word, Excel web browser).
For example, there are keyboard shortcuts for opening a new window in the browser, closing software, printing, taking a screenshot, etc. Thus, there are keyboard shortcuts for almost all the important actions that you can do from the operating system or from the software.
Why use keyboard shortcuts?
Why use keyboard shortcuts?
Almost all actions on a computer can be performed using the mouse, passing through the appropriate navigation menus. However, there are many handy keyboard shortcuts that allow the user to benefit from a huge saving of time, especially when the tasks are performed several times (data entry, batch file processing, etc.).
For example, it is certainly possible to copy/paste with the computer mouse (right-click then the Copy function, and right-click and then the Paste function), but this action is much faster with keyboard shortcuts. If you have to perform this copy/paste task hundreds of times on a spreadsheet, then the time savings would be significant.
The main keyboard shortcuts for Windows computers
- Copy file or text: Ctrl + C
- Cut (file or text): Ctrl + X
- Paste (file or text): Ctrl + V
- Select all (File or text): Ctrl + A
- Undo last action: Ctrl + Z
- Redo last action: Ctrl + Y
- Close a window: Alt + F4
- Rename a file: F2
- Make text bold: Ctrl + B
- Take a screenshot: Win (Windows key) + SHIFT + S
- Open Windows File Explorer: Win (Windows key) + E
- Open the application Run : Win (Windows key) + R
- Open task view: Win (Windows key) + TAB
- Show desktop: Win (Windows key) + D
- Start the search tool: Win (Windows key) + S
- Lock the computer and change accounts: Win (Windows key) + L
- Maximize the active window: Win (Windows key) + ↑ (from Windows 7)
- Minimize active window: Win (Windows key) + ↓ (from Windows 7)
- Show window in full screen: F11 (Windows key)
- Copy the entire screen to the clipboard: Shadow Blade 5e or Ctrl + Print screen
- Copy the screenshot of the active window to the clipboard: Alt + Print screen
- Switch between open applications: Alt + TAB
Note that there are also keyboard shortcuts specific to different web browsers such as Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, Internet explorer, Edge. Using these shortcuts greatly facilitates internet browsing.
The main keyboard shortcuts for Mac computers
The list of essential keyboard shortcuts for Mac computers is compiled. In this selection you will find the key combinations used to perform actions or tasks through the operating system or installed software.
- Copy (file or text): Cmd ⌘ (Windows key) + C
- Paste (file or text): Cmd ⌘ + V
- Cut (file or text): Cmd ⌘ + X
- Select all (file or text): Cmd ⌘ + A
- Duplicate the selected file (s):: Cmd ⌘ + D
- Undo last action: Cmd ⌘ + Z
- Redo last action: ⇧ Shift + Cmd ⌘ + Z
- Close a window: Cmd ⌘ + W
- Rename a file: Enter or F2
- Make a text bold: Cmd ⌘ + B
- Open the Computer window: ⇧ Shift + Cmd ⌘ + C
- Display desktop: F11
- Show window in full screen: Ctrl + Cmd ⌘ + F
- Minimize the active window: Cmd ⌘ (Windows key) + M
- Copy the entire screen to the clipboard: Cmd Siege of orgrimmar entrance ⌘ + ⇧ Shift + 3
- Copy the screenshot of the active window to the clipboard: Cmd ⌘ + ⇧ Shift + 4
- Eject the selected disk or volume: Cmd ⌘ + E
- Start a Spotlight search in the Finder window: Cmd ⌘ + F
- Display the information window for a selected file: Cmd ⌘ + I
- View the original file of a selected alias in Finder, refresh the page in some apps such as Calendar or Safari, check for available updates: Cmd ⌘ + R
So here are the most essential keyboard shortcuts for Mac computers. You can also find keyboard shortcuts specific to the Safari web browser. Each of the combinations is intended to facilitate navigation.